Friday, November 11, 2005

Seattle Bound


There's much to say... a lot has happeneed in the past week.

Fort Lauderdale didn't exactly work out as planned. Murray didn't give us the good hookups we were expecting-- he just basically told us stuff we already knew. We handed out our resumes to a lot of people, but nothing came of it. Tried to walk the docks, but they were all locked and had big warning signs saying that you need to have worker's comp insurance to work there. Tried to find a room at a crew house, but they were all full. So after countless dead ends and too many long nights sleeping in the car, we gave up and turned back.

It was a stressful and discouraging trip. We really felt like we were supposed to be there, but it all seemed to be a big waste of time and money. But it was a good experience. We gave up on Ft. Lauderdale, but not on the boats...

Seattle was our back-up plan. Maybe I should re-phrase that. Seattle was our back-up plan for the next 6+ months. All along we'd been planning on being there next fall for me to start seminary. We just weren't sure what to do with the time in between. We were going to try the boats, and if that didn't work out, we'd just move to Seattle a little early.

While in Fort Lauderdale, we discovered that Seattle is a big yacting place in the west coast. Just out of curiosity we checked out the Seattle Times classifieds and found over 50 jobs which directly related to the boating industry (In the High Point classifieds, you're lucky if you find 50 jobs PERIOD). Not to mention several cruise companies that are headquartered there and are hiring right now. So before, it looked like the filler time was either boats, OR Seattle. Now, we're thinking it might be boats AND Seattle. Either way, it's Seattle. We're planning to move after Christmas :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm sorry things didn't work out.....just out of curiosity, will you be going to upstate ny at all for Christmas w/ your parents???? because that would be PRETTY AWESOME! I'm praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

I meant is 'da bomb

Anonymous said...

Upstate NY, Christmas, BE THERE!! We'll be in Malone/Saranac Lake...COME!! :)

Laura said...

Sorry guys- but I'm going to be in SC for Christmas with my fam :( They haven't done Christmas in NY in a while. I don't know when I'll be back in the Empire state... but there'll always be a welcome place to stay in Seattle... :)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you haven't given up on Seattle. It's an awesome city. Remember that I said my cousin and his wife live in the suburbs? He goes to the seminary you were interested in I believe. I'm back in Indiana right now, but I miss Oregon a LOT. Who knows (besides God of course) what will happen??? ;) Hope things are going well!

Laura said...

Sarah-
HI! Are you still thinking of moving to Portland? Only a 3 hour drive from Seattle... :-D

Anonymous said...

Still don't know what God has for me....for now I'm floundering around Indiana trying to find a job to help pay the bills. So, it's looking like I'll be sticking around here for a while.