Saturday, August 26, 2006

Beachfront Camping





Last weekend was Matt's last weekend out here, so we took him to see something he'd never seen before (from America): the Pacific Ocean. We went to Olympic National Park to see the Washington Coast firsthand. We hiked a trail that followed the beach, and set our tents up right in the sand, along with our campfire. We watched the sun setting over the ocean, then fade into the stars. We saw several shooting stars, a satellite, and the space station, as we watched the tide roll in over the glow of the campfire. We fell asleep to the lullaby of the waves and woke up to the bark of a sea lion. We saw starfish and sea anemonies and scaled a rock wall trying to aviod the incoming tide. It was a marvelous adventure!

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey Laura! I need your mailing address. I tried to email you about it, but perhaps you didn't get the email. Can you email your address to me? Thanks! -Brooke

Anonymous said...

augh!! jealousy!!! I want to live near the ocean!! Love you Laura!

Anonymous said...

Haha, and I thought that my white water rafting adventure was an amazing outdoor event! You win by about a million times! That sounds like an incredible weekend! Now I really want to come visit!

Sarah said...

Oh the unfairness of it all...did you take an early morning dip in the Pacific to wake yourself up?? That is just something you have to do, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I loved reading your blog! It makes me so homesick for the Northwest! Marrying into Ohio wasn't my top choice, but Shane was! So, corn fields aren't so bad, but nothing like the beauty out there on the West Coast! Anyway, it's not like being a YWAM missionary will put me in one place for a very long time, God always has us on trips somewhere! We leave for Thailand tomorrow for 3 months :) Should be cool. It's funny that you are so excited about all those blackberries! They seem "normal" to me. But hey, I was super excited about seeing lightning bugs for the first time this summer! It was like being a kid again... So, enjoy the beautiful Northwest and man, do i miss all those cool coffee shops! But, I don't miss all the liberal stuff, there seems to be a lot more people with good morals here in the good ol' Midwest :) You guys will be a shining light! Tell Ned that Shane and I said "hi". We will come visit some time next year, my family is near Portland. Love you!

Tara K. Jette

Anonymous said...

so, I can't remember your new email, so I used an old one that may or may not have gotten to you... if not, we're thinking about making a NW trip this October - email me :) rgr99@mac.com.

Anonymous said...

Hey! check your hotmail...i'm just waiting on word from you before I book my ticket.Yay!!

Anonymous said...

Best friend!! Where are you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.