Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fleeting Glimpses of Autumn

The southern fall seems to have reverted back to summer for a while. Back to the 70/80's and sunshine. We had about a 2 week taste of fall-- cold, rain, and coziness. We spiced up the apartment with some Indian Corn and a pumpkin, and made apple crisp and hot cider. Mmmm. But that might be about the only taste of fall we get, because soon we'll be outta here. In less than 2 weeks, we have to be moved out and on our way down to Ft. Lauderdale. Stress! We haven't even started packing and Ned's working 12+ hour days everyday.

I've been thinking about Plattsburgh lately. My hometown up in NY. Not really missing it- definitely would NOT want to move back there. But thinking about falls and winters up there. Cold, beautiful wonders. Mostly I've been thinking about roots. How the seasons brought stability. Every year we did the same things, for the most part. Every fall we'd go to Rulf's Orchard and go on a hayride and pick out a pumpkin. Every fall weekend was filled with my swimmeets, and every winter weekend was spent watching the Cardinal hockey games. Life was predictable. And pretty much since I graduated high school, it has been anything but. One year of college in Philadelphia. Three years at IWU, but that was interrupted by 6 months in Australia. Then SC for a year, then NC for a year. Then New Zealand for 7 months, then back to NC for 6 more months. And now....?

Part of me misses that stability. I'm sick of packing and I hate goodbyes. I'd love to be home for the holidays and have a place to decorate for Christmas. I don't even know what country I'll be in this Christmas! But don't get me wrong. I look forward to the adventure ahead. But for now, it's time to pack...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Dr. Howdy,
Thanks for your comments- I'm flattered that you found my blog riviting!--Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by having "quiescent potential for your intended readership". But yes, my mind does continue to be amazed at the infinate goodness,wisdom and power of our "Supreme Designer/Architect" and I do indeed try to honor Him in this blog and in my life. I can see from your weblogs that you are trying to do the same. How perchance did you happen to stumble upon my blog? Thank you again for your comments, blessings be with you.